HomeLayoutsOff the PageTutorialsEverything ElseMy Resume

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Adventure by the Sea

 
 
Earlier in my scrapbooking I have featured this photograph, but never have told the full story behind it. Now that I have created another layout similar to the one I gave to my son, I will put this one in a shadow box and hang it in my "Happy Scrappy Place".
What a treat it has been to play along this week at CSI (Color, Stories, Inspiration). Duplicating the green color wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but I think I finally succeeded thanks to papers from Prima and K&Co. I always love the weekly challenges at CSI and have improved my craft by leaps and bounds thanks to the inspiration at that wonderful website!


 

Background work included stamping, masking and painting with a lot of texture worked in. I was going for a grungy look. The mist, flowers  and the majority of the paper are by Prima. In  order to achieve this grunge look, I used a piece of corrugated cardboard and stripped the top layer off. Then, I used Frantage (by Stampendous  with mica chips and a few glass beads scattered here and there to give a suggestion of gold treasure. It bubbled and morphed into a beautifully embossed background!

 

Over the weekend I went shopping for a bit of fishnet, but was unsuccessful at finding any that was the right size and price. Once home, I was rummaging through drawers in my scrapbook room and came across the remains of netting that I had saved from a bag of "Little Cuties" (tiny oranges) last winter. I couldn't have asked for a better embellishment! It even brought in a little red to meet that criteria for the challenge. It has a coat of gesso on it to tone down the red and works wonderfully as fishing net for this layout.

 

The chippie is by Blue Fern Studios and was painted light brown, then I inked the edges for definition.  The little bits of coral are made from a couple of Tim Holtz glassine pockets and one of his die cuts. All metal embellishments are also by Tim Holtz.


 

I just could not do enough inking, painting, fussy cutting, or 3-D work. Is there a twelve step program for this? Somebody help me!!!
 




 

The tiny shells needed a little something special so I painted them with gesso and later inked or spritzed them to achieve the desired colors.

The object on the corrugated cardboard is a glass bead from my stash that I experimented with. I was interested to see if I could emboss it with the same Frantage that I used on the corrugated cardboard, and was pleased with the results.


The centers of the Prima flowers were created with beads from my stash and Ranger's Glossy Accents.




 

At last, I have the whole story in writing! The dotted design was created with bubble wrap packaging and ink. Here it is typed, so you don't have to get wrinkles from squinting: 
 
Enjoying a few days at The Gulf of Mexico was not just a little get-away for Lee. He went there with teachers and fellow students from his university to study and earn credits in two biology classes and another science class. They waded through sections of the coastline and were up to their eyeballs in salt water and seaweed
as they carried buckets in which to collect their treasures. At one point, the gulf floor dipped and Lee thought he would drown. The bucket filled quickly and he had to choose between saving the bucket and saving his life! At the end of the trip, he came back  home with a head full of knowledge and a great tan.


 

On the back side of the tags are more photos from Lee's adventure, a little stamping and an antique style map with a stamped arrow pointing to the location where Lee had his adventure.

 

Thanks so much for your comments. I am always grateful!

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I can see why your pages are featured at CSI...lovely details, lots to look at. I bet Lee really enjoyed this class. What a fun trip to the Gulf! Love the seashells and coral branches. Your handwriting is always beautiful and will give much joy to your family in the years to come. Handwritten journaling is a piece of you on the page. Keep up the good work. Your DT is lucky to have you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Patty. Your layout is absolutely amazing. I love all of your texture and special touches. And I especially like the journaling and the photos attached to the tags. So creative and fun! Sounds like a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete